Eric W. Nelson, M.D.
Sports Medicine, Shoulder & Elbow, Hand & Wrist, Hip, Knee
“My goal is to get you back in the game as quickly and safely as possible.”
After medical school and residency, I served nine years in the United States Air Force, gaining valuable trauma experience during a combat tour in Iraq. I also had the privilege of caring for the Air Force Academy hockey team, which had just completed its third NCAA tournament appearance. My experience and expertise will help me to improve on an already outstanding team at Heartland Orthopedic Specialists, with the goal of improving the quality of life for the people of west central Minnesota. As a board-certified orthopedic surgeon, I am focused on sports medicine and general orthopedics. In my spare time, I enjoy traveling, fishing, hunting, golfing, and spending time with my wife and two children.
- Board-certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Subspecialty certification in sports medicine by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member of the Society of Military Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Published author in the Journal of Hand Surgery and American Journal of Sports Medicine
- Former team physician for the United States Air Force Academy NCAA Division I Ice Hockey Team
- Focuses on general orthopaedics and sports medicine
Physician Assistants and Nurse Practitioner
"Today, Dr. Nelson did an arthroscopy on my left knee. Everything went as planned and everyone from the staff at Heartland Orthopedics to everyone today for the surgery at the hospital was friendly, knowledgeable, and caring. This was my 4th surgery, and I have always received excellent care and appreciate everything that has been done for me through all of these surgeries. And of course, to Dr. Nelson a big thank you and GO HUSKIES!" --Vicki M.